The CESAR bursary is offered once every term (fall, winter, spring and summer). The bursary dates for the 2017 -18 academic year are:
Fall 2017 Bursary
Application Opens: Friday, September 1, 2017 at 12p.m.
Application Deadline: Friday, September 29, 2017 at 5p.m.
Winter 2018 Bursary
Application Opens: Monday, January 8, 2018 at 12p.m.
Application Deadline: Friday, February 9, 2018 at 5p.m.
Spring 2018 Bursary
Application Opens: Friday, May 4, 2018 at 12p.m.
Application Deadline: Friday, May 25, 2018 at 5p.m.
Summer 2018 Bursary
Application Opens: Friday, June 29, 2018 at 12p.m.
Application Deadline: Friday, July 20, 2018 at 5p.m.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any CESAR member (a student enrolled in a Chang School course, a distance education student, continuing education or a part-time undergraduate degree student), who is in need of financial assistance can apply for a $500 bursary each term. The CESAR bursary is not a loan; you do not need to pay it back.
Here at CESAR, we believe that an individual’s financial status should not be a barrier to accessing post-secondary education, however the demand for bursaries far exceeds CESAR’s ability to grant them.
In considering the bursary there are two main guiding factors:
- the financial needs of the applicant
- the systemic context of equity-seeking and marginalized groups
To make university accessible, CESAR continues to work closely with the Canadian Federation of Students to lobby the provincial and federal governments to fully fund public post-secondary education and reduce tuition fees for all students.
If you find yourself in an unexpected emergency situation and are in immediate financial need, CESAR offers an emergency grant program. Applications for the emergency grant are accepted year-round and can be picked up and dropped off at the CESAR office (SCC 301).
To be considered for a bursary, applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a current member of CESAR in good standing. This means you must be currently enrolled in a continuing education course, a distance education course or a part-time degree program at Ryerson University, and be in good academic standing.
- The applicant must demonstrate financial need during their studies; documentation and/or other evidence may be requested.
Not all students are eligible to receive the CESAR bursary:
- Students who have received a CESAR bursary in the same academic year are not eligible;
- Students who have already received a CESAR bursary three times are not eligible;
- Students who receive a Chang School bursary during the same academic term are not eligible; and
- Graduate students are not eligible.
- Applications are only accepted online.
- All sections of the application must be completed; CESAR is not responsible for any missing information.
- Upon submitting your application, you will receive a verification message on-screen, in addition to receiving an e-mail confirming receipt of your application.
- To protect the integrity and impartiality of the consideration process, CESAR is unable to respond to inquiries from students regarding their bursary application.
- The Bursary Committee reviews each application anonymously and makes a recommendation to the Board of Directors for approval. All decisions made by the Board are final; there is no appeal process.
- Priority will be given to part-time undergraduate degree, continuing education and distance education students.
- Recommendations are primarily based on demonstrated need, but the Committee also considers instances of systemic oppression (i.e. racism, poverty, disability, etc.) that have made a negative impact on applicants’ efforts to access post-secondary education.